Sunday, February 20, 2011

Where all the Pokémon books nowadays?

So I was thinking, why aren't there any good Pokémon books out there nowadays? I mean, even the Player's Guides have been offed for Prima guides (which are extraordinarily inferior), but where are the books, the ones that explained everything? I think the only non-guidebooks are Pokémon Visual Guide and Pokémon Ultimate Handbook. Nintendo has done a good job of squishing anything unofficial. Possibly because the fandom died down from the initial 1999 fervor, but one of my favorites is the "Pokémon Trainer's Guide" (Sandwich Islands Press, 1999). It's rife with minor errors and lazy writing, but it was a gem. It covered the first 52 or episodes, a section on toys, a walkthrough with information on Red, Blue, and Yellow, a Pokédex which covered movesets, Pokémon Snap, and a very abridged version of their guide to the TCG. Brian Brokaw, a contributor to Pojo.com (don't know if he still does) and creator of the "Haymaker" deck, wrote the TCG section.

I want to create a Pokémon book that covers everything. It would be quite a task--to envelope that era (1996-1999) in an even more awesome book that can tap into the nostalgia market and yet Pokémaniacs who were not yet conceived at the time. I wrote about it on Bulbapedia to get feedback, but they locked it, so I did what they said, transferred it to my blog. It would draw information from many sources (all cited, of course) and be pretty much the book I would've always wanted. I need a co-author, though. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment